FARM BILL RANGE & WILDLIFE CONSERVATIONIST
Application Deadline: May 29th
Location: Portales, New Mexico
Overview: This position is located in the USDA field office in Roosevelt County, New Mexico and will provide conservation services for Lesser Prairie Chicken conservation in the counties of Chaves, Curry, De Baca, Eddy, Guadalupe, Lea, Quay and Roosevelt, New Mexico.
The incumbent will serve as a Farm Bill Biologist providing biological/wildlife technical assistance for USDA, New Mexico Department of Game and Fish (NMDGF), Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, Pheasants Forever Inc. and Quail Forever (PF/QF) and our other local partners. The successful applicant will deliver conservation programs to farmers, ranchers and other landowners primarily in the interest on Lesser Prairie Chicken Conservation. The position will be an employee of and be supervised by Pheasants Forever, Inc. with daily instruction and leadership provided by PF LPCI Coordinator and local partners. Funding is provided by the Natural Resource Conservation Service, Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, NMDGF and other local partners.
- Provide technical assistance (wildlife habitat focus) and guidance to landowners, government agencies, non-government organizations and others (training will be provided the USDA, PF/QF, NMDGF and other local and state agencies).
- Coordinate the implementation and application of wildlife habitat within the conservation programs in cooperation with NRCS District Conservationist, NMDGF Staff, and others.
- Complete contracts, applications and other required documentation for conservation programs offered under the LPCI and WAFWA’s Range-wide Plan.
- Communicate program requirements, complete site visits to determine eligibility, and develop plans and contracts for applicants enrolling in USDA Conservation Programs or other state and local conservation programs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management tools and techniques in the development of management plans.
- Knowledge of conservation and wildlife programs provided by the LPCI and WAFWA’s range wide plan. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural and range landscape is desired.
- Knowledge of conservation measures for enrollees through CEHMM for Candidate Conservation Agreements with Assurances (CCAA) and grassland opportunities.
- Knowledge of conservation and wildlife programs provided by Federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), State agencies and PF. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
- Ability to apply and use GIS tools (i.e. GPS, ARC Map, etc.).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Valid driver’s license required; work vehicle provided; some use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
- Able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities. A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and/or related field experience. Experience working with private land habitat planning is highly desirable.
Salary Range: $34,000 – $38,500 + Health Benefits and Retirement Package.
To Apply: Visit our website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references as a single Word document or PDF file before uploading to the Recruitment website.
Pheasants Forever Inc. and Quail Forever are EEO Employers/Vet/Disabled.